The Mother’s Day Gift Guide You Didn’t Know you Needed
As parents grow older, the family dynamic grows too, and the mom who took care of everyone while you were growing up might be the one who needs care now. That can look different for each family, but it’s always helpful to have some support when going through this process–whether that’s Estate Planning or applying for benefits to help pay for a nursing home, we can provide the legal support necessary for you to give the greatest gift that you can, your attention, patience, and help.
The work we do at Ard Law Firm, PLLC is a collaborative process between our team and our clients. This team mentality is necessary because there are many personal documents such as bank statements and marriage licenses that we simply cannot obtain without your help. Become part of Mom’s team by helping her with some of the important tasks required to finalize her plan.
The Modern Mother’s Day Coupon Cards
Remember those homemade coupon cards for “cleaning your room” or “10 free hugs”? Well, we’ve created some highlighting the key points where you might need to help your Mom in legally preparing for the next stage of life. (Are you a Mom reading this? Go ahead and share on Facebook–be sure to tag your kids!)
If your mother has been talking about an estate plan and never gotten around to it or keeps worrying about the cost of long-term care in the future, calling our office might be the greatest gift you can give her, but it’s still really just the start–she might need support along the way.
- Free Zoom Call Set Up OR Free Ride to Consultations
- Whether online, teleconference, or in-person, your first consultation with us is always FREE–we’re doing our part to help Mom with the first step, are you? Offer to walk her through zoom or bring her to the office.
- Help Locating Documents
- Check what you thought was a sewing kit or cookie tin, we’ve seen important papers be found in the strangest of places. Who knows, you might even find sentimental trinkets and forgotten photos in your search. This task can be stressful on people with mobility limits or forgetfulness–help Mom by taking an afternoon to go through every nook and cranny if she’s been having trouble finding the documents we need.
- Some of those documents might include: marriage certificates, deeds, bank statements, social security cards, etc.
- 5 Free Technology Lessons
- Once those documents are found, it’s often important they get to the paralegal assigned to your case ASAP. If you have a smartphone, there is likely a “scan documents” feature that can be quite helpful in this process. Here’s a quick guide we made for iPhone users *link to .pdf*
- Another technological struggle we see is navigating online banking. For certain applications, we need to see bank statements, and not just screenshots from the mobile app. Walk your mom through the desktop website of her bank and show her how to print to .pdf and email us an attachment.
- Help Filing Your VTR-121 Form (s)
- If your attorney recommends beneficiary designations on your automobiles, they will direct you to a VTR-121. It is a simple form you can find online from the TX DMV website. It is very straightforward and your Mom might not even really need help with this task, but it’s always nice to offer your support when you can.
- Here’s an excellent guide including the forms you need: Download VTR 121 Walkthrough and forms 2023
- Countless Conversations about your Wishes
- The process of preparing for the next stage of life reaches far beyond our office walls. There are heartfelt moments learning about your Mom’s wishes and needs for the family home, long-term care, funeral plans, and important healthcare decisions.
- We know these aren’t easy topics for families to traverse, but we’ve found a really great resource in The Conversation Project for how to prepare for and navigate these talks.
Ard Law Firm wishes everyone a very Happy Mother’s Day!